Mott MacDonald is one of the largest power consultancies in the world, with over 1,400 staff working directly on power-related projects. Also, we are seen as world leaders in the power sector.
Committed to sustainable development, our power experts are experienced in all types of thermal, nuclear, hydro and renewable energy generation and power transmission and distribution technologies.
For more than 100 years, we've delivered the industry's most prestigious and challenging assignments, playing a leading role on some of the world's milestone energy projects.
We have power offices in the UK and Europe, South Africa, Russia, the Middle East, India, Thailand, Singapore and the US. Each office has in-depth knowledge and understanding of local conditions and practices, backed by our global resources – allowing us to provide our clients with the best solutions possible on their projects.
Power generation from conventional sources such as coal, gas, oil and diesel continues to provide a significant share of global electricity production. But renewable contribution is significant and growing.
Our thermal power generation experience spans the complete range of skills needed to take a project from concept to commissioning. This includes feasibility and scoping studies, detailed design, plant specification and tender review, contract negotiations, project management and involvement in plant enhancement studies during the operations phase, as well as lender’s engineer.
Our sector spread is diverse and we are always ready to discuss emerging challenges whether in new technologies or new ideas.
- Coal fired power generation
- Diesel engines
- Energy from waste and biomass
- Energy storage
- Gas fired power generation
- Geothermal power generation
- Hydro power generation
- Nuclear power
- Solar power
- Transmission and distribution
- Wave, current and tidal
- Wind power generation
We provide full engineering and management services to a diverse range of clients worldwide.
Our skills and services include:
- Civil, mechanical, electrical, control and instrumentation engineering
- Detailed design and specification preparation
- Feasibility studies covering all aspects of power plant development and associated infrastructure (eg. grid connection, environmental and permitting issues)
- Full lenders’ engineer services during project finance and asset acquisitions
- Grid connection and transmission network studies
- Owner’s engineer/project management during construction and commissioning phases, and provision of technical advisory services
- Technical input to the preparation of environmental impact assessments
- Technology reviews of new power generation equipment
- Tender review and contract negotiations
- Thermal efficiency modelling
- Cost engineering
- Construction economics
- Programme management
In addition to traditional consultancy services in design and engineering, we also provide services in market analysis, institutional strengthening and the introduction of new asset management techniques.
We provide a total solution in generation or transmission and distribution projects.
From our in depth knowledge, we deliver an optimised solution based on sustainable developments.